Chicken breasts can sometimes be a bit dry. I therefore thought that I'd try to baste the meat with fat both from the inside and from the outside. And it worked! This recipe makes the chicken juicy, succulent and flavorful.. —Tonemid
- Serves 4
full-fat crème fraîche (or sour cream)
garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons
finely chopped chervil
finely chopped tarragon
finely grated zest from a Meyer lemon (if you haven't got access to Meyer lemons use an ordinary lemon, but in slightly smaller quantities)
Eventually a little freshly squeezed juice from a Meyer lemon (or ordinary lemon)
Salt and freshly groung pepper
skinless chicken breasts (how many this is will of course depend on their size)
pancetta (or bacon) in very thin slices (again; the number of rashers will depend on their size)
dry white wine
Knob of butter
button mushrooms, sliced
medium leek, sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
finely chopped parsley
In This Recipe
- Mix together crème fraîche, mustard, garlic, chervil, tarragon and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Also add a little lemon juice if the mixture needs more acidity. Set aside.
- For each chicken breast: Use a sharp, thin-bladed knife and make an incision into the long side.. Cut carefully into the meat until you almost get to the other side (do not cut through!). Fold the breast open like a book. Place between two sheets of clingfilm, and bash with a rolling pin, until it becomes less than half as thick as it was. Cut the thin chicken 'sheets' into ribbons, each approx. 2 inches wide.
- Slather each long, thin chicken ribbon with mustard mixture. Roll up. Wrap each chicken roll in pancetta. Tie with cotton string - two per roll.
- Fry the rolls in a wide pan, turning them over as the pancetta browns. Add wine and broth and simmer, turning the chicken rolls now and then, for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken is nearly cooked through.
- Meanwhile, fry the mushrooms over high heat in a bit of butter. Turn the heat down, add leek, and cook until it is completely wilted, approx. 5 minutes. Add to the pan with the chicken, and cook until the chicken is done - this will only take a couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges and steamed spinach or other greens. Tomato salad tastes nice on the side, too.