In high school I had a friend from Greece, and if I helped her with her English homework, her mom would feed me. That was a good deal. Sadly, she returned to Greece and probably didn't learn much English grammar from me, but hey, I came out with recipes.
This is also pretty much my go to recipe for entertaining vegetarians or potlucks including vegetarians, since all my Southern recipes seem to include bacon grease... —PeachyCallahan
- Serves 4-6, depending on if you're making an entree or a side
2 1/2-3 cups
chopped fresh tomatoes
cloves garlic, finely chopped
chopped Italian parsley
crumbled feta cheese
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your eggplants in 1/2" slices.
- Place eggplant in a baking dish. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. broil on both sides until lightly browned, about 10 minutes on each side.
- While the eggplant is browning, prepare the sauce. Saute garlic and onion in 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the saute pan. Simmer until sauce is thickened.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and set your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon sauce over eggplant slices. Sprinkle with feta and parsley and drizzle with additional olive oil.Return to preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish or with basmati for a vegetarian entree.