Makes a tasty alternative to the standard spicy starch. —nishis
- Serves 4
black eyed peas (dried) or 2 cans
water (if not using canned)
chunks slab bacon
salt to taste
In This Recipe
- Prepare beans as customary (I pre soak and then leave in the crock pot but you might use canned). Rinse and drain in a collander.
- Heat deep skillet. Add bacon and allow to render. Remove bacon and set aside.
- If you're short on fat (you need 1 tbsp at least), supplement with olive oil (or if you're like me, your jar o' bacon fat from past exploits). Can skip bacon altogether and opt for olive oil if feeling veggie. Lower heat.
- Sprinkle cumin over warm oil and allow to toast. Once fragrant, add paprika and stir about.
- Add your beans and stir to coat with your spiced oil. Then using the back of a wooden spoon (or a fork if you can take the heat), mash the beans to further expose their innards to your delicious seasoning.
- Add salt and cayenne to taste (start w/ 2 tsp salt), continuing to mash until desired texture is reached.
- (If you desire something more smooth and dip like, feel free to run through the food processor with a little bean water).
- Serve with chopped/crumbled bacon atop (if not already consumed).