Author Notes: These mini ricotta cheesecakes are easy to throw together and quite decadent while still being somewhat healthy. I like the candied ginger in here- each piece is like a tasty little ginger jewel- but if you don't like ginger, you can try substituting chocolate chips (I think dark chocolate chips would be best)... —WinnieAb
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese (use the freshesh one you can find)
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt, preferably organic
- 2 eggs, preferably organic and free-range
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (I use fair-trade, organic cocoa powder)
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey (I used a dark wildflower honey)
- 1/4 cup candied/crystallized ginger, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the ricotta cheese together with the yogurt. Add the eggs and cocoa powder and mix on low-medium speed until well blended.
- Mix in the sugar and the honey, then add the crystallized ginger. Remove the bowl and mix by hand for a bit to make sure all the ingredients are well blended and the ginger pieces are incorporated throughout.
- Pour chocolate mixture into ramekins: if using small ones, you should be able to make 6 desserts.
- Place the ramekins on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 1 hour, until the cheesecakes are set. These are great right out of the oven, or after they've chilled in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta