If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With a delicate crumb, a texture similar to soft shortbread, and a creme brulée-like smattering of burnt sugar that lightly shatters when you bite into it, Bruléed Orange Butter Cookies are sure to be a hit! —HealthyDelicious
Makes 3 dozen
To make the Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and zest on medium speed until well blended.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Add the flour and mix on until moist clumps form. Wrap in plastic and chill 40 minutes.
- Roll between two sheets of parchment to ¼-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch cutters. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool completely.
For the Icing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/8 cup turbanido sugar (sugar in the raw)
- Combine remaining ingredients (except turbinado sugar) to form a thin glaze.
- Spread each cookie with 1/4 teaspoon of the glaze, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Pass a kitchen torch over to melt the sugar.
- Allow icing to cool and completely harden before stacking (about 1 hour).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish You (Intentionally) Set on Fire