If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to create a pizza that celebrated the beginning of spring, so even with snowflakes slowly tumbling from the sky, I decided to use ingredients that reminded me of the soon to come warmer weather: asparagus, blood oranges, arugula, fresh ricotta. I made some dough, drizzled it with honey, heated a pizza stone, and tossed on the ingredients. The tartness of the blood orange, and the slightly bitter orange zest, was a nice contrast with the sweetness of the ricotta and the crunch of some toasted almonds. —http://broccolinibunch.wordpress.com/
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour, either wheat or white or a combination
- In a large mixing bowl, place warm water and sprinkle yeast into it. Add salt and honey and stir. Slowly add flour and using bread hook, begin to mix. Keep adding flour until dough is smooth–though not too dry! It’s ok if it’s a little sticky.
- Cover dough and place in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour.
- When the dough is doubled in size, stretch it out, gently rolling it from time to time–you don’t want to roll too much as it breaks down the integrity of the dough.
- If you’re using a pizza stone, take it out of the oven and place the dough on top. If you’re using a pizza tray or cookie sheet, place the dough on top.
- Drizzle honey on top of dough.
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 blood orange, zested and then peeled, segments chopped into 1/2 inche pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted almond slivers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon honey
- If you're using a pizza stone, place it in a 500 degree oven while dough is rising, about 1 hour.
- Remove stone from oven, (or use pizza tray or cookie sheet) and place dough on it. Drizzle honey.
- Place arugula, asparagus, and orange pieces on dough. Arugula will wilt down. Place the ricotta cheese in dollops around the pie, then the mozzarella and almond slivers. Finish with zested orange peel. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 500 degrees