Author Notes: Drumstick tree is a small, deciduous tree, of the family Moringaceae, native to tropical Asia but also naturalized in Africa and tropical America. Drumstick trees can reach a height of about 9 m (30 feet); they have corky gray bark, branching and fernlike leaves. Highly scented white flowers and long bean like seed pods. Seed pods are used as a vegetable, especially in south Indian cuisine, e.g. drumstick sambar. An excellent oil is derived from the seeds, which is used for cooking and lubrication of delicate mechanisms. The leaves are extensively used as a vegetable in many parts of the world, and the root can be made into a condiment similar to horseradish
Thoran is the heart of Kerala Cuisine. Any Kerala Sadhya is incomplete without Cabbage Thoran. Cabbage Thoran is a stir fry made using cabbage and coconut. You can prepare the thoran using cabbage, or a combination of cabbage and carrot, or even cabbage, carrot and capsicum.
Drum stick Flower 1 cup
Green Chili 1
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seed ½ tsp
Dry Red chili 1
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Freshly grated coconut 2 tsp
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add mustard when it popes, add dry chili curry leaves, onions, green chili ,turmeric ,cook till onion turns color.
- Toss in the prepared drum stick flower , mix well add salt to taste
- Cover and cook till the it is done.
- Finally stir in 2 tbsp of fresh coconut .Cook for a minute and remove
- this dish can be made with beans, carrots, cabbage, pumpkin etc)