If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Today is a typical Western Spring day...blustery, sunny, rainy, and sometimes all at once. It is a wild day on the mountain! My garden is months away from producing anything but the spring onions and green garlic that I used to make this soup. Horseradish is tamed by the creamy infusion of onions and the potatoes. Bacon adds smoke and salt. - dymnyno —dymnyno
Food52 Review: This may look like a standard creamy potato soup, but take just one bite and you'll see how much more than that it is. The creamy, velvety soup tones down the burn of the horseradish so that its unique peppery flavor can blossom in each bite. The soup is incredibly thick and filling and the bacon and spring onion bits on top add just the right contrast in texture and flavor. I loved the horseradish in the soup so much, I actually swirled some extra into my bowl while eating. I think I may never have potato soup without it, ever again! - fiveandspice —fiveandspice
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups chicken stock(I used homemade chicken stock made with leeks)
1 cup spring onions, including 2 inches of the green part, minced
1 tablespoon green garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
1 cup cream
4 tablespoons grated horseradish root
6 slices bacon, cooked very crispy and crumbled
4 tablespoons spring onions stems, minced
- Cook the potato cubes in the chicken stock until very tender.
- Put the potatoes and stock in a blender and blend until smooth.
- At the same time: Put the cream in a large saucepan with the spring onions, garlic and horseradish. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Blend this mixture (in a blender) until very smooth and pour into the pot with the potato mixture.
- Simmer the combined ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add more chicken stock if the soup is too thick.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with a big spoonful of crumbled bacon and minced onion greens.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish