Author Notes: I lived in Dallas for about two years before moving to the East Coast. Almost every single week, I would go to Celebrity Cafe & Bakery in Highland Park Village. The size of a shoebox and covered in pink, Celebrity made the most amazing chicken salad, cookies, and cakes (among other things). My favorite lunch was the cranberry chicken salad made with dried cranberries, nuts, and apples. This is my "healthier" version of an old lunchtime favorite. —Plum Pie
Makes: about 2.5 cups
chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
cup granny apple, diced into small chunks (1/4-1/2 inch)
cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
tablespoons shallot, minced
cup Greek yogurt
tablespoons light mayo (I use Duke's but use your favorite)
tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
tablespoon rosemary, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and cut chicken breast off the bone. Shred chicken breasts using your fingers or two forks or dice with a knife to about 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix together greek yogurt, mayo, apple cider vinegar, and rosemary.
- In a large bowl, combine, shredded chicken (about 2 cups), pecans, shallots, green apple, and cranberries. Toss with dressing until well combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill for at least an hour until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish