Growing up in the Rio Grande Valley we were blessed to have an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables. In our yard we had grapefruit, orange, lime and tangerine trees, plus a peach and many pecan trees. My dad would squeeze OJ for us and my mom made grapefruit wine. This cake is adapted from Gourmet Magazine's Citrus Chiffon Cake. It's moist and light with subtle flavors of both the grapefruit and mint. —nannydeb
Test Kitchen Notes
WHO: nannydeb is a former restaurant manager (slash waitress, bartender, and more) from Austin, TX.
WHAT: A citrus-kissed cake that has a gloriously soft crumb, topped with a mint-flecked glaze.
HOW: It's as simple as stirring the wet ingredients into the dry and adding stiffly-beaten egg whites, plus the glaze needs just a bowl and a spoon.
WHY WE LOVE IT: The cake's pillowy texture and heady grapefruit flavor contrasts with the crunchy-sweet mint glaze for a cake we'll look forward to at breakfast and dessert alike. —The Editors
- Prep time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 10 to 12
1 1/2 cups
granulated sugar, divided
plus 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice, divided
cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups
fresh mint, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg yolks, oil, 2/3 cup grapefruit juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix this mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- In yet another large bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until it forms soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat until it forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter and spoon it into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert it onto the serving plate. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the icing, combine the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice and mint. Add powdered sugar and/or juice to get the consistency you want. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake and serve.