Author Notes: This came about when I had some sweetened mascarpone cheese leftover from a tart I made the previous week. This is by far the BEST cookie I have ever made. That means a lot considering I have made probably hundreds of different cookies. One bite and I was hooked. This is no humble cookie, it is elegant. I have served it at a dinner party with miniature vanilla shakes. Hope you enjoy! —singing_baker
Makes: 2 dozen sandwiche cookies
teaspoons Espresso Powder
tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temperature
teaspoon Vanilla Extract
ounces Mascarpone Cheese, room temperature
cup Confectioners Sugar, PLUS 3 Tablespoons
ounces Milk Chocolate, Melted
teaspoons Vanilla bean paste
- Make espresso shortbread. Put butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy. Slowly add in flour, espresso powder, salt and Vanilla. Shape dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and put in fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough to a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter no bigger than an inch and a half. put rounds in freezer until firm. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges start getting brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Make Filling: Combine mascarpone cheese, remaining sugar and vanilla bean paste in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment until just combined. Put mixture in a pastry bag with a large round tip. this just makes it easier to put on the cookie without breaking it.
- To make cookies first put about a teaspoon of melted chocolate on one side and a decent piping of cheese on another and then sandwich them together. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee