If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: About 10 years ago, I wanted to make my own BBQ sauce. I found a simple recipe with 5 ingredients, in an old magazine and since then, it has evolved into the following.
NOTE: * I also use dark soda, like a high end micro-brewed root beer (regular dark soda will work as well, like cola); any type of beer will; the darker the better. —MariGarrett
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups Kona Brewing Company’s Kona Coffee Pipeline Porter*
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tangerine juice
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar (can be light or golden brown as well)
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (equals: 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce or to taste (can also use a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or just the adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed/mashed (1 Tbsp jarred crushed garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder also works)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low (temperature of stove may vary) and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Cook until sauce is reduced to about 3 cups and the consistency of barbeque sauce; in an airtight container, sauce can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
More Great Recipes: Condiments