Author Notes: Many years ago, I stopped buying pre-made salad dressings and started creating my own small batches fresh for the salad I wanted to eat at the time. Ever since then, all kinds of vinegars have been part of my pantry arsenal. While on a vacation in Portland, Maine one year, I found an unusual blueberry vinegar to bring home as a souvenir. While this vinegar is not something I can use for just any salad, it should work well whenever a balsamic is called for. I made this salad to bring over for a July 4th picnic. The blueberry vinegar really shines in this salad alongside salty blue cheese, earthy quinoa and sweet blueberries. —NakedBeet
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
tablespoons blueberry vinegar
tablespoon walnut oil
dashes salt and pepper
cup uncooked red quinoa
cups fresh blueberries
ounces blue cheese
tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Before cooking the quinoa, soak it in some cold water to rinse off some of its natural bitterness.
- Mix the dressing together and set aside. Cut the blue cheese, mint and place this in with all the blueberries into a large bowl.
- Once you drain the quinoa, cool it off till it is slightly warm and pour the blueberry vinaigrette and mix that through.
- Let the quinoa cool down some more before mixing in the cheese, blueberries and mint (otherwise your blue cheese will melt.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Umami-Centric Recipe