I call this “A Lazy Cook’s Salad” because there is no cooking at all.
My sister had it at a party, but could not quite figure out all of the ingredients.
She new for sure that there was octopus and some kind of other fish that had a smoky flavor. I tried to make it with smoked white fish; it was too soft and got mushy in the salad.
Smoked salmon didn’t not pare well with octopus, and then my daughter said that in Sushi restaurants they often serve smoked Ell on top of Seaweed. That solved my problem.
I add carrots for color, cucumber for texture, and grapefruit is not too sweet.
8 to 10
• 12 oz Pickled Seaweed (prepared)
• 1 small cooked Octopus from the fish counter (about 1.5 pound) cut in bite size pieces
• 1 small smoked Ell about (1/2 pound Eel – skin peeled off and deboned) cut in bite size pieces
• 2 medium carrots grated on the large side of the grater
• 2 limes juiced
• 1 pink grapefruit segments, (squeeze out all the juice), and save the juice
• ½ cup best quality olive oil
• 4-5 whole spring onions (scallions) chopped
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Salt if needed
• 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
• 2 teaspoons Smelt eggs for garnish (optional)
• 3 small fresh Persian or one large seedless cucumber peeled, cut in half, and sliced
1. In a large bowl gently mix all ingredients (except olive oil, lime juice, and grapefruit segments).2. In a smaller bowl whisk lime and the saved grapefruit juices, slowly whisk in olive oil, black pepper, pour over the salad.3. Add grapefruit segments, and taste for seasonings’4. Assemble right before serving.