If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish was inspired by an appetizer of "Squid Two Ways" that I had at Vermillion, in Old Arlington. It was both fried and sauteed squid over shelling beans, celery, and foccacia, with a saffron vinaigrette. I developed my own version of the recipe, with fava beans because they're in season, and lemon breadcrumbs for flavor and texture. Many steps can be done ahead of time, making the final preparation a piece of cake. Homemade breadcrumbs and good olive oil are key. —HollowLeg
Squid and Bean Salad
- 1/2 pound squid, tubes and tentacles, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2/3 cup shelled fava beans (about 2/3 lbs whole)
- 2/3 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup canned cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup panko, or homemade breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
Saffron Sherry Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons your best olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron threads (about 1/8 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Separate the tentacles from the tubes of the squid. Slice the tubes into rings, and cut the large tentacles in half. Season with the lemon zest, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Mix the saffron with 4 tablespoons of good olive oil. Let sit for about an hour
- Peel the fava beans (twice if necessary). Blanch in a pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with about ¼ tsp Kosher salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add breadcrumbs and cook until lightly browned. Add more oil if necessary. When browned, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and turn off the heat. Reserve, and adjust seasoning.
- Strain the saffron oil and mix with 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pat the squid pieces dry with a paper towel and season evenly with about ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the squid and sauté until opaque, about 3 minutes. Keep stirring to a minimum. When cooked, remove the squid with a slotted spoon and add the cannelloni beans, kidney beans, and fava beans. Cook until just heated through, 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and add the vinaigrette. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beans topped with the squid, and lemon breadcrumbs. Add parsley and one more drizzle of good olive oil. Make sure you have some bread handy to soak up the juices at the bottom.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe