If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came about as a simple preparation for fresh ramps. Forget about sautéing them. Here, the salty-garlicky, smokey-tangy flavors complement each other in a quick but satisfying preparation. Tart yogurt contrasts with the sweet strength of ramps, while the saline salmon binds it all together, heightening the mix of flavors. Serve with crusty buttered sourdough and sliced cucumbers dressed with white wine-vinegar, oil and dill, and you've got the best of all possible worlds. —creamtea
Serves 2 (can easily be multiplied)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons butter, or a slick of olive oil
- 4 thinnish slices of smoked salmon, Scottish preferred
- 3-4 ramps, finely sliced crosswise, both bulb and green parts. If they are large, 1 or 2 should be sufficient.
- 1/3 cup goat's milk yogurt as garnish (more or less, according to taste)
- With a fork, remove salmon slices individually from package, twirling to wrap the slice around the tines into rolls to facilitate slicing. Slice rolls crosswise into thick ribbons.
- Beat eggs with a splash or two of water until foamy.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over a low to medium flame and when it is hot, add a nubbin of butter, or, if you prefer, a slick of butter. Slick or nubbin, it should be about 2 teaspoons or up to a tablespoon of fat.
- Reduce flame to low setting. When warm (and foamy, if using butter), add egg mixture. Allow edges to set, then lift edges of egg slightly while tilting pan to allow uncooked runny parts to flow underneath.
- When most of egg is set but top is still soft and a little runny, add salmon and sliced ramps. Turn off heat, allow to set for a few seconds, then fold over and plate omelet.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, and serve. Add pepper to taste, and a touch of salt if desired (you may not need it).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe