If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I think of inexpensive meals I almost always turn to hearty soups - a little meat and a lot of veggies go a long way. When the kids were living at home a pot of soup was usually always on the stove to accommodate their crazy schedules ( and ours!). This was one of their favorites. - inpatskitchen —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This soup is genius. Simmering Italian sausage in chicken broth produced an unbelievable depth of flavor in the final dish, one that I would associate with far more expensive dishes. The potatoes and beans are great textural additions to the soup and with minimal preparation, they cook up fast! I loved the addition of greens (I used kale) to the soup -- it made the soup into a complete meal, especially when we served it with a crusty bread. - foresterlady
Makes: 3 to 4 quarts
pound dried northern white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
pound Sweet Italian sausage baked at 350F for 30 minutes
cup sliced leeks
cloves minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
tablespoons olive oil
cups chicken broth
cups chopped greens ( kale, spinach,collards -your choice)
medium potatoes,peeled and diced in 3/4 inch cubes
salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the soaked beans in water for 40 to 50 minutes until tender, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot saute the leeks, crushed red pepper and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Slice the baked Italian sausage in 1/2 inch rounds and add to the pot. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, the reserved bean broth and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the greens and the cooked beans, bring back to the boil and simmer until the greens have wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner