Author Notes: When I think of inexpensive meals I almost always turn to hearty soups - a little meat and a lot of veggies go a long way. When the kids were living at home a pot of soup was usually always on the stove to accommodate their crazy schedules ( and ours!). This was one of their favorites. - inpatskitchen —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This soup is genius. Simmering Italian sausage in chicken broth produced an unbelievable depth of flavor in the final dish, one that I would associate with far more expensive dishes. The potatoes and beans are great textural additions to the soup and with minimal preparation, they cook up fast! I loved the addition of greens (I used kale) to the soup -- it made the soup into a complete meal, especially when we served it with a crusty bread. - foresterlady
Makes: 3 to 4 quarts
pound dried northern white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
pound Sweet Italian sausage baked at 350F for 30 minutes
cup sliced leeks
cloves minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
tablespoons olive oil
cups chicken broth
cups chopped greens ( kale, spinach,collards -your choice)
medium potatoes,peeled and diced in 3/4 inch cubes
salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the soaked beans in water for 40 to 50 minutes until tender, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot saute the leeks, crushed red pepper and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Slice the baked Italian sausage in 1/2 inch rounds and add to the pot. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, the reserved bean broth and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the greens and the cooked beans, bring back to the boil and simmer until the greens have wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner