If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe yields 12 chimichangas.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons crushed, dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, depending on heat desired
- 12 ten-inch tortillas
- oil for frying
- toppings: shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, salsa, etc.
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to simmer for 2 hrs.
- After 2 hours, uncover. Boil rapidly until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. Stir constantly in last 3 - 5 minutes to avoid meat sticking to pan. Transfer meat to a large bowl and shred with two forks.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees, wrap tortillas in foil and heat for 15 minutes.
- Spoon 1/4" cup shredded beef near one end of each tortilla and fold in an envelope fashion; fold the shorter end near the beef first, then each opposing end, and roll. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat 1" oil to medium high heat. Fry chimichangas until golden brown, flipping halfway through browning process. Drain on rack or paper towels.
- Top with shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, salsa, etc. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner