Author Notes: I guess the first thing I should say is that this recipe is off my blog which I started as a result of my husband getting laid off. I call it Cheap Beets, a mostly vegetarian guide to eating well in the recession, and not completely vegetarian, as I have a major crush on anchovies. Well, fish of any sort, really. These fish cakes were a go-to recipe during the layoff. I'm a big believer in the well-stocked pantry, and this recipe is one of my favorites. The entire recipe costs about $3, with the canned salmon being the most expensive part. —CheapBeets
Food52 Review: I’d never before opened a can of salmon. As the top popped, I looked skeptically at the 5 ounces of light pink fish, questioning its satisfaction quotient. Enter CheapBeets’ method for combining sweet potatoes and breadcrumbs with the salmon and eggs and scallions: her recipe yields four, honkin’ big, flavorful cakes! I made half the recipe with fresh bread crumbs and half with boxed ones as the recipe doesn’t specify. Tasters were split on which was better, so use what you have on hand. I cut the sauce’s mayo with Greek yogurt for a bit of tang and sprinkled the cakes with good salt. —cheese1227
Makes about 6 very filling cakes
Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
- 5 ounces canned salmon
- 1 Sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper and its adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- In a 2-quart saucepan, boil the sweet potato in 2 cups water until tender.
- Drain potato. After it cools, place the cubes in a medium-size bowl and mash well.
- To this, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well-combined. I find that using my hands is the best way to get this done.
- Heat a thin coat of oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet. Using 1/4 cup of fish mixture per patty, form patties and fry in skillet over medium flame, approximately 5 minutes per side, until golden on both sides. Add more oil to skillet if necessary.
- While the patties are frying, make the chipotle mayo by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner