Author Notes: Worth the time investment. Excellent in salads, sandwiches and even in chicken dishes. —Cordelia
Makes: about 3 cups
very fresh smooth looking lemons
lemons for juice
In This Recipe
- Cut the lemons, with skin, to rounds about 1/2 cm thick.
- Clean the lemon slices from seeds.
- Mix the salt and the paprika in a plate. Deep every lemon slice in the mixture and then arrange in a jar as tight as possible.
- Sprinkle the garlic between layers. Add the bay leaf and the peppercorns in between the slices.
- Pour lemon juice on top of the slices, so they all be submerged in the juice (add a bit of water if you don't have enough juice).
- On top put the peels of the squeezed lemons to protect from mold.
- Seal the jar very well and let it seat outside the fridge for about 2 days. Turn the jar over couple of times during the two days.
- After two days keep in the fridge for few weeks. Ready after about 4-5 days.
- Good for about 4 weeks in the fridge, covered in lemon juice and a bit of oil on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift