If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband is from Texas, and Texans are picky about their beans. This is our recipe that evolved to suit his Texan taste buds, and to please a house full of kids. This is an inexpensive meal, and takes very little actual time to prepare, as long as you remember to soak the beans the night before.
This recipe will feed 8-10 people, and was a Friday night favorite because we often had “spare” kids to feed. When our children were teenagers, it was not uncommon to see one of their friends at the stove inspecting what was cooking! My husband would refer to a large pot of beans as a “vat o' food”. The picture is one I took of His and Hers Beans. —mamusa
- 1 sixteen ounce bag of pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 individual packet of Goya powdered chicken bullion
- one 32 ounce box vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ten ounce can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 celery stalks and a palm full of chopped celery leaves from the heart of the celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1/2 cups fresh green beans snapped
- 1 sixteen ounce package of smoked link sausage – country style, mild
- 1 sixteen ounce bag of yellow rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying vegetables and sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying burrito wraps
- 8 - 10 small burrito wraps
- corn relish or chow chow for the table
- Soak beans overnight in 8 cups of cold water. In the morning pour off soak water.
- Add 4 cups of water that has had the bouillon packet mixed in, the vegetable broth, bay leaf, sugar and salt to the beans and bring almost to a boil. Then turn to low for 2 to 2 ½ hours. When the beans are soft but still firm in the middle they are ready for the rest of the ingredients. Check the liquid frequently while cooking and add water as necessary to just cover the beans.
- The amount of liquid it takes to cook beans varies depending on the beans. At this point: before you put in the rest of the ingredients it is the time to adjust the liquid. Check the liquid on the beans: the liquid should just cover the beans by ½ inch above the beans. If there is more discard, if less add water.
- Chop the yellow pepper, onion, celery including leaves, oregano and mince the garlic. Cut bite sized rounds of sausage. . Sauté the vegetables lightly in 2 tabllespoons of olive oil in a large fry pan. Add the sausage to the sautéing vegetables and quickly brown the sausage. Add sausage and veggie mixture to beans. Add oregano, pepper, chili powder, cumin, snapped beans, one can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies and bring almost to a boil, turn down to low and cook for another 30 minutes.
- At the same time as you add the veggies and sausage to the beans, start the rice if it is 20-30 minute rice.
- 10 minutes before you serve, add a tiny bit of olive oil to coat a fry pan, and brown both sides of the burrito wraps, adding olive oil as needed, when you remove them from the pan fold them in half.
- Serve the beans over yellow rice, and if you are fancy add some corn relish or chow chow on the top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner