Author Notes: This is a very flexible recipe with a spice cake base and streusel topping. You can make this with any combination of fruits and/or berries: Rhubarb, strawberries, blueberries, cherries - knock yourself out. —Burnt Offerings
- 3 cups chopped fruit: rhubarb (or strawberries, blueberries, cherries, you get the idea)
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 stick (8 TBL) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- pinches salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with baking rack in the middle. Spray an 8X8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chopped fruit and confectioner's sugar in a bowl and mix well, set aside.
- Mix together dry batter ingredients: cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, salt, flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and the butter with an electric beater until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and milk in two batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and shake to distribute batter evenly.
- Scatter fruit and sugar mixture on top of batter, distributing well.
- In a small bowl, mix all the streusel ingredients except the butter together, and combine well.
- Add the butter in pieces to the streusel mixture, incorporating it with your fingers until it creates a crumb like texture.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on fruit - distributing equally.
- Bake at 350' for about 45-50 minutes until a tester placed in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving,.
- Refrigerate after serving. Freezes well.