Author Notes: This comes from my friend Danny. My friend Danny who hates dessert. Several years ago we used to have these Iron Chef offs. Four of us would each make two dishes in amuse bouche form. Then we invited two friends to be our Jeffrey Steingartens. They would blind judge and deem someone the winner. I don’t think Danny won for this dish but he should have. I recreated this recipe last summer when having my annual girls, weekend with my god-daughters (I made theirs with raspberry soda). The picture is a larger format then what the recipe calls for. —Summer of Eggplant
Food52 Review: Well, I mean, seriously, it's a raspberry lambic float, right? What more can you ask for? This drink feels quintessentially soda-fountainesque yet also all grown up. The intensely juicy berry flavor of the lambic mingling with frothy foam from the ice cream and whipped cream—be sure to use a really good quality ice cream, you'll notice the difference—just begs to be slurped up from a tall glass through a striped straw. But, then the bitter, hoppy dryness of the lambic blossoms in your mouth and provides a distinctly mature counterpoint to the sweet creamy ice cream. I liked mine best leaving the ice cream floating in the drink and eating spoonfuls with a bit of ice cream and a bit of lambic in them. But, a friend whom I served it to preferred the drink all melted and blended together with the ice cream uniformly distributed. I leave the choice of how to eat it up to you! - fiveandspice —fiveandspice
- 4 ounces Raspberry lambic
- 1 scoop premium vanilla ice cream
- 2-3 tablespoons whipped cream (I use 1 cup cream to 1 teaspoon vanilla whipped to desired consistency)
- mint for garnish
- 2-3 raspberries
- Pour the beer in to a glass larger than the beer will hold (this is so when the ice cream goes in to the soda/beer the ice cream volcano stays contained in the glass), scoop the ice cream and hang off the side of the glass, top beer/ice cream with whipped cream and garnish with the berries and mint. Serve with a spoon and a straw.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe