Author Notes: We originally made this hot ginger drink with honey, lemon and fresh grated ginger juice in a saucepan on the stove as a more adult flavored alternative to hot cider to stave off the winter chill. The hot drink recipe was adapted from Miraval Resort in Tucson, AZ – one of our best vacations together with our guys ever! We can’t wait to go back, but in the meantime – now that the weather is getting warm, we've realized that it works wonderfully as a delicious, handmade chilled soda base in summer months, as well!
cup ginger juice plus extra grated ginger for zing
1/3 to 1/2
cups spring water
bunch thyme sprigs or edible borage flowers for garnish
- Combine ingredients in saucepan.
- After squeezing juice out of lemon, toss the squeezed lemon into the mixture.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove lemon and let cool. Then chill in refrigerator in mason jar.
- Use about 1 part ginger lemon mixture to two parts sparkling water or club soda and serve well chilled or over ice. Garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh thyme or a few edible borage flowers if you're in a fancy mood and you're all set!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe