Author Notes: This delicious, traditional Syrian drink is usually served at parties and happy occasions, most often at meet- the- family engagement parties. It was served at my own engagement party and I made it when my daughters got engaged. It is said that Shrab al Loz is a symbol of fertility and love! - Joy Betesh —Joy Betesh
Food52 Review: You will certainly not want to wait for a special celebration to make this beverage! The flavors of the almond and rosewater are a marriage made in heaven and oh, so subtle. When whirred in the blender along with some ice, it takes on the familiarity of a slushy, but surprises you with its complexity. It would be the perfect companion to any ethnic spicy meal on a hot summer evening. - sticksnscones —sticksnscones
cup raw whole almonds(skins removed....blanche in hot water to remove skins)
- Put the almonds in a food processor with 1 teaspoon of water and process for about a minute or two till they are finely grated and pasty.
- Transfer the almond mixture to a medium bowl and add the sugar, cup of water and rosewater and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and blend on high speed for two or three minutes or till creamy. Pour the almond syrup into a jar....at this point you can refrigerate or freeze the almond syrup.
- To assemble the drink using a blender, mix 1 part almond syrup to 2 parts water and some ice cubes. Pour into tall or champagne glasses
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe