Salty, sweet, textured. I was inspired by a pear, gorgonzola salad I often order at a local restaurant. —MrsWheelbarrow
- Serves 1
slices good Italian bread
blue cheese (I like gorgonzola)
chopped toasted walnuts
salt & pepper to taste
bartlett or bosc pear, cored & sliced
slices applewood smoked bacon
soft salted butter
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350. Cook bacon on parchment paper for about 15 minutes, until crispy. I've been known to use the microwave for this step.
- Mix together the blue cheese, cream cheese, mustard and walnuts. Taste and add salt & pepper as you wish.
- Butter the bread on both sides and place on a board.
- Spread blue cheese mixture on each side of the bread.
- Next, add the pear slices. This is important. You want the pears to stick to the cheese, and not slide around in the middle of the sandwich.
- Add the bacon and pile on the arugula. Put the sandwich together. Press down a little.
- Heat a cast iron pan. Slip in the sandwich. Press down from time to time and griddle the sandwich, gently, slowly cooking it on both sides until browned, gooey and warmed through.