Author Notes: While browsing, I saw a picture of what was touted as a Tornado Potato, a whole potato spiral cut and wrapped around a skewer and then deep fried Said to have originated in Seoul, South Korea, this potato is now showing up around the USA at fairs and festivals. There is a special cutter you can buy for this or if you have patience you can spiral cut the potato by hand. Having neither the cutter or patience, I decided to string the potato slices on a bamboo skewer and then fry them. Season them with salt and pepper or Greek or Cajun seasoning...whatever you like. The kids will love eating their "fries" on a stick. —inpatskitchen
Makes: 4 skewers
larger baby Yukon Gold potatoes
Vegetable oil for a deep fryer or tall pot
12 inch bamboo skewers
Salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder or whatever your heart desires for seasoning
- Leaving the skins on, slice the potatoes about 1/4 inch and slide the equivalent of two sliced potatoes on each skewer.
- Heat the vegetable oil to about 360F and place the skewers in the pot or fryer, leaving the bottom of the skewer( the flat end)exposed. Fry for 5 to 6 minutes and remove and set on paper toweling.
- Bring the oil back up to 360F and re-fry the potatoes until they crisp up.
- Season and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food