Author Notes: Beets and beets leaves (chard). Use purple beets and golden beets for some more color. the unpeeled lemon give this salad extraordinary. —Cordelia
medium golden beets
medium purple beets
1.5-2 bunches swiss chard
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wrap the beets in tin foil and bake them in 360 degree oven for about an hour, or until you can pock with a fork very easily.
- Let them cool for a bit and then take the skin of with your hand (come off very easily). Cut the beets to cubes of 1X1 cm. put in a bowl.
- Take of the stems of the chard leaves. Cut to strips and wash well.
- In a pan warm the 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the chard. Let it wilt for about 5 min while mixing.
- Add the cooked chard to the bowl, with the garlic but without the liquid that came out of the chard.
- Add the vinegar, oil, salt and cut the lemon (including skin) to small cubes and add as well.
- Let seat in the fridge over night and serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets