This recipe was inspired by Karina’s blog, The Gluten Free Goddess. I combined what I learned from her blog with my favorite recipe from Pie in the Sky by Susan Purdy and came up with the cake featured below. The key to this recipe is the pulsing of the carrots in a food processor after they have been grated. This ensures a very moist cake with a more unified appearance.
This cake is delicious with a thin layer of cream cheese frosting. I make it as a layer cake for birthdays that way. Frankly, it really doesn’t need the frosting. If you make it as a bundt cake you could give it a sprinkle of GF confectioner’s sugar. I hope you like this cake as much as my family and friends (celiacs and non-celiacs alike) did. (PS do not attempt to make this as cupcakes. The baked batter is so moist it sticks to the cupcake wrappers. —barr
- Serves 12
- For the Cake
peeled, grated then pulsed in a Food Processor, carrots
dark brown sugar (I love Wholesome Sweeteners brand)
unbleached white sugar
NOW brand Gluten Free Baking Mix
1 1/2 teaspoons
eggs (6 if you live above 5,000 ft.)
1 1/2 cups
Safflower or Canola Oil
- For Cream Cheese Frosting
cream cheese, at room temperature
unslated butter, at room temperature
vanilla bean, split in half, insides scraped out or 2 tsp. Massey's vanilla paste
Confectioners sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 350. For the Cake sift together the dry ingredients.
- Place the sugars, eggs, vanilla and oil into a large mixing bowl and blend together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and gently whisk until combined.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared cake pans or a bundt pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes for a bundt, 25 to 30 for 2 9 inch layer cakes. Toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when the cake is done.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by whipping the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanillas or vanilla bean seeds.
- Sift the confectioners sugar in small batches, turning the machine on and off with each addition.
- Add the salt.
- Once the cake is completely cool, remove them from the pans and frost.