If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After much research of my own as to what exactly goes into this dish, I found there are SO many versions of paella. It contains anything from chicken, pork, shellfish, fish, eel, squid, beans, peas, artichokes or peppers.. but the list goes on and on. After multiple tweaks, additions, and smashing of several recipes together I came up with this.. Paella-with a healthy kick :) Typically paella will include Spanish chorizo, but I switched out the high fat pork sausage with a lean chicken sausage, and cut the amount of oil used in almost half. —Chocolate Broccoli
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4 links chicken sausage, casings removed
- 10 ounces can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 cups uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 pounds peeled and deviened shrimp
- 1 pound bay scallops
- To prepare broth, combine broth and wine in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken sausage, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Add garlic, saffron threads, onion and bell pepper to pan, and continue to saute 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, paprika, crushed red pepper, and 3 garlic cloves; cook 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft and sausage is browned.
- Add rice, tomatoes and tomato paste and blend well, cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth slowly, stirring to incorporate. Bring to a low boil, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is tender.
- Add shimp and scallops to pan, gently stirring into rice mixture. Cook 5-7 minutes until seafood is cooked through. Sprinkle with lemon juice.