Author Notes: My sister in law Lee used to make this for family get togethers, and I have always loved it. it has the sweet and tangy from the dressing, the salty from the bacon, and the crunchy from the broccoli. —jane mcmillan
cup boiling water
large heads broccoli
small red onion
tablespoons red wine vinegar
teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- Put raisins in a small deep bowl, and pour boiling water over them to hydrate them while preparing salad.
- Fry bacon til crisp, drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Wash broccoili, pat dry, and cut into small florets.
- Drain the raisins well and place in a large bowl, add the broccoli and crumbled bacon.
- Peel and slice the red onion into thin rings, and place in the bowl with the broccoli.
- Make the dressing by wisking together the mayo, sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper. Wisk well to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture, and toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to take to picnic.