If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My take on red beans and rice served hot, cold or at room temperature and made with my own creole seasoning recipe. The bonus here is that it's gluten free and vegan and should make the whole crowd happy!! —inpatskitchen
Makes about 6 cups salad
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Combine all ingredients and store in a covered container.
For the salad
- 1 cup long grained raw white rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced poblano pepper
- 1 finely diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning ( or use less or more depending on your tolerance to spicy!)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked red beans or kidney beans at room temperature
- In a medium sauce pan, saute the two peppers in the olive oil until they just begin to soften.
- Add the creole seasoning and saute for about 30 more seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Combine the cooked rice, tomato mixture and beans. Cover and chill to let the flavors blend.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish