If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This potato salad is tossed with garlic scape pesto. And not just any garlic scape pesto. Roasted garlic scape pesto. Richer, mellower, and deeper in flavor than raw garlic scapes, while retaining a bit of that scape spiciness. - SavvyJulie —SavvyJulie
Food52 Review: SavvyJulie has come up with a brilliant use for those nifty curlicue garlic scapes showing up at the farmers market and in your CSA box: a picnic-friendly potato salad cloaked in a mellow pesto dressing. It artfully balances savory roasted scapes and zippy mustard and, better still, the pesto is made from almonds (a reprieve from pricey pine nuts). - kristen miglore —Kristen Miglore
medium butter potatoes
pound garlic scapes
teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
cup extra virgin olive oil
cup blanched almonds
hardboiled eggs, peeled
- Cover the potatoes with water in a large stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until fork-tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a heat-resistant bowl and refrigerate until cooled.
- In the meantime, wash the garlic scapes and cut into 3? pieces.
- Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a small pan over low heat. Add the garlic scapes and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and roasted, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Process the garlic scapes, almonds and 1/3 cup olive oil in a food processor until completely blended. Mix in the mustard.
- Chop the potatoes and eggs into bite-sized pieces. Toss with the garlic scape pesto until all the pieces are covered.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish