If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My great-grandma taught my mother how to make these and she in turn taught me. They would take them along with chocolate chip cookies on picnics to see the great horse farms in KY and now I include them in every picnic basket —eggs&herbs13
- 21 ounces canned tuna (i use 3 7oz cans of Albacore tuna)
- 4 6" diameter pita breads
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots and celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut each of the pita breads in half and lightly toast them, in an oven of 350 for 5 minutes or a toaster on the "light" setting. Remove when toasted and let cool completely.
- Drain the tuna and place in a medium sized metal bowl. Smash with a fork until the tuna clumps are broken up evenly.
- Mix in half of the mayo and make sure it is fully incorporated. Then add the sliced eggs and mix well. Add the remaining mayo and mix again.
- Combine the vegetables and parsley with the salad and salt and pepper to taste.
- Distributed the tuna fish salad equally inside each of the cavities of the pita bread halves. Put them in a container and take them on a picnic and enjoy eating on the beach or a grassy hillside :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish