Author Notes: When I went a little crazy about a month ago buying many more strawberries at a farmers market than I would EVER need, I started experimenting with making strawberry soups. This is one of the versions I really liked that didn't take any cooking. Since there aren't many ingredients to this recipe, the quality of each ingredient is really important. This is not where you want to use strawberries that are on their last leg. Also, because there can be quite a range of sweetness in fresh strawberries, I advise you to start with 1/2 of the sugar and then add more as needed. I used raw coconut nectar for the sugar, but agave nectar will work just as well without any adjustments. If you're new to coconut nectar, it's made from the sap of the coconut tree. It's minimally processed, is gluten-free, and loaded with Vitamins B, C and amino acids. But, as a warning, like many alternative healthy food products, it doesn't come cheap. This would be a great soup to use as a starter for a summer brunch or afternooon tea, but I had a bowl for breakfast this morning and that seemed pretty good too... - ChezSuzanne —TheWimpyVegetarian
Food52 Review: ChezSuzanne's soup is rich with the flavor of fresh strawberries and thick with coconut milk. It's a refreshing yet satisfying dish that would be wonderful to serve during the warmer months. A squeeze of lime really brightens the dish and it comes together in no time at all. Garnish with a touch of lime zest before serving for an extra burst of citrus flavor. - Annie "Smalls" —Annie "Smalls"
pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
tablespoons raw coconut nectar (or agave nectar)
cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut milk
teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Throw the strawberries in a food processor or blender and process until complete smooth and liquid-y. Strain through a food mill, chinoise or other fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. You should end up with about 2 cups of strawberry puree in the end. Pour the puree into a bowl.
- Add the nectar, coconut milk, lime juice and salt. Whisk until the soup is completely smooth.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw