If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To me ceviche hollers SUMMER at the top of it's lungs - fresh and bright with lime and herbs, and great with a beer ... scallops have a softer texture than a fish or shrimp ceviche, so I like to eat this with blue corn tortilla chips .... —aargersi
- 1 cup bay scallops
- 3-4 limes (depends how juicy they are)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (I had a combo of heatwave, green zebra and sungold)
- 1/2 large avocado - perfectly ripe and diced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper - optional if you are a heat seeker like myself
- salt, cilantro, tortilla chips
- Take off all of your clothes. This is IN THE RAW!
- Did you do it? Are you nekkid? GOTCHA!!! Put them back on. You don't want lime juice on your tender bits.
- Rinse the scallops in cold water then pat them dry. Put them in a non reactive container (I use a pyrex measuring cup) and squeeze enough lime juice over to cover them (in my case this took 2.5 limes) stir and stick in the fridge.
- Put the diced onions in another container and cover with cold water. Put these in the fridge too. This takes the sharp onion bite away and leaves you with something crunchy and sweet and wonderful.
- After an hour stir the scallops and then back in the fridge. We are lookig for a scallop that is white through and looks cooked ... mine took about 2 hours but that will depend on the size.
- When the scallops are done, drain the lime juice off. Drain the onions too, and pat them dry. Mix those two together with a pinch of salt. Add the avocado and tomato, optional peppers and squeeze half a lime in. Taste for salt. Tear some cilantro leaves in (I am generous here) and stir.
- Take your clothes back OFF put your swimsuit ON, grab a beer and some chips and go outside to enjoy!!!!