If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I fell in love with this summer cocktail, but it took me several versions to come up with a July 4th cocktail. "Cooking Light" got me started and Ina's "Pineapple Margaritas" helped as well. Finally, from Kelsey AKA The Naptime Chef, I got the helpful hint to sieve the watermelon.
These are pretty potent. I managed to cut my finger as I carved the grilled pork tenderloin, talking over my shoulder to my friend, Jan. Still, they were pretty luscious...
Serves: 4-6, generously
tablespoon white sugar or sea salt
cups cubed, seedless watermelon
cups white tequila
cups freshly squeezed lime juice
cup triple sec
small watermelon balls and lime wedges (optional)
- Pour sugar or salt into a wide saucer. Rub the rims of 4 martini glasses with half a lime. Dip and swirl the glasses in the sugar or salt. Freeze the glasses.
- Using a processor, puree the chopped watermelon, erring on the "big" idea, since straining will reduce the mixture by half.
- Sieve the watermelon puree and set aside.
- In a large pitcher, combine the tequila, lime juice, Triple Sec and Cointreau.
- Add the watermelon puree. Stir and chill for several hours.
- Load a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice. Pour in the chilled cocktail mix and shake. Repeat as needed.
- Pour chilled margaritas into sugared glasses. Garnish - or not - with toothpick-loaded small watermelon balls and tiny lime wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail