Author Notes: When I found out the theme of this weeks contest, I send my husband to the Farmers market to buy fresh raspberries. He came back with such an enormous amount that I had to use them up and even freeze some.
Here is a recipe for Raspberry Mousse and one way of using it.
The mousse is creamy and airy and you can rely on it all season long.
For the Mousse:
• 1tablespoon unflavored gelatin
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1pint fresh raspberries or 12 ounces frozen, unsweetened raspberries thawed, pureed, and strained (1 cup)
• 3 tablespoons liqueur, such as Framboise (optional)
• 1 1/2 cup heavy cream , chilled
For the Charlotte:Makes 4 6-inches in diameter serving dishes
• 1 Chocolate Jelly Roll Cake, cut into 8 equal slices about 1-inch thick
• 1pint fresh raspberries
• 3/4 cup chocolate Ganache
- To make mousse: Combine gelatin and 1/4 cup cold water in a small saucepan; let stand to bloom gelatin, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup hot water, lemon juice, sugar, and salt; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and gelatin dissolves.
- Stir in berry puree and liqueur; refrigerate or set in ice-water bath, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens. Whip chilled cream to firm peaks; fold into mousse.
- To assemble the Charlotte: Place 1 slice of the cake in a 6-inches diameter serving dish. Spoon 4 tablespoons mousse on cake slice, cover top with a few fresh raspberries.
- Place second cake slice on top and spoon 4 tablespoons mousse on top, garnish with few more raspberries.
- Repeat the same steps to assemble three more portions. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Make a Chocolate Ganache for the top decoration. In a sauce pan, bring to a simmer 3/4 cup whole milk and 2 tablespoons sugar to simmer. Pour over 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (chopped) and 1 teaspoon of Instant coffee, mix until smooth and shiny. Steer in 2 tablespoons of cold butter and 1 tablespoon of Framboise or orange liqueur.
- Drizzle on top and return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Raspberries