If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You can’t quite fit a whole lemon meringue pie in your pocket, but you can take a few of these lemon meringue clouds with you wherever you go. This recipe was inspired by an intro helicopter lesson high above the clouds. —Furey and the Feast
Makes 16 to 18 cookies
- 2 egg whites
- pinches Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- liters Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until they develop foamy bubbles. Add cream of tartar and whisk on medium-high speed until whites form billowy peaks (they won’t be totally stiff at this point).
- Add sugar to egg whites in a slow stream and beat until soft peaks become glossy and stiff. Beat in vanilla and lemon extract.
- Use a teaspoon to drop meringue cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top each cookie with lemon zest (optional).
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until cookies are crisp on the outside, but not brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Store in airtight container for up to 4 days.