Author Notes: This is a recipe I created last year. Although Granitas' aren't anything new it was a hot day and I needed a cool pick me up with a shot of something. This hit the spot. Whether in the pool, sitting on the deck or you just finished working in your yard this is smooth, light, cold, refreshing and most of all delicious! —Vicki Bensinger
cups Heavy Cream
splash Bailey's Irish Cream per glass
- Blend coffee and sugar together until dissolved.
- Place mixture in a low yet wide covered container and place in the freezer. After about 2 hours open the freezer and with a fork scrape the edges to loosen which will be frozen. The center will still be gushy. Then place the container that the mixture is in back to the freezer.
- An hour later repeat this step and continue with this process until all the mixture has frozen and has been scraped into what looks like shavings or snowcone-like.
- While you are waiting for the granita to freeze take your heavy cream and whip it in a stand mixer until it forms thick peaks. If you don't want to do this you can purchase ready-made whipped cream or use an iSi one of my favorite gadgets, (http://www.isinorthamerica.com/consumer/products/easy-whip/en/) add heavy cream, shake and you've got homemade whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Since you'll be having this poolside, I would suggest using a polycarbonate Martini Glass and place a nice mound of the Coffee Granita into each glass. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with Bailey's Irish Cream and serve. This iced cold drink/dessert is so satisfying you'll be wondering why you didn't have one sooner!