If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from a recipe featured on the Cupcake Bakeshop blog —ericlovelin
For the Cupcakes
- 4 ounces almonds, slivered/peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
For the Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grind almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor until very fine. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup of sugar to the ground almonds while beating at low speed. Add the ricotta and beat to combine.
- While beating at low speed, add a tablespoon of butter at a time, waiting for the butter to incorporate until adding the next pat. The butter must be at room temperature or it will not incorporate well. Stop the mixer, scrape the bowl, then beat at medium for about 2 minutes.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and break up with a fork. At low speed gradually add eggs about a tablespoon at a time, waiting for the eggs to incorporate until adding the next bit. Add almond extract and beat again at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Measure out flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl and whisk to combine. With a rubber spatula, fold flour mixture into the cake batter until combined. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry the berries. Toss with a small amount of flour. This will help keep the berries from sinking. Fold berries into the batter. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- To frost: Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Add more sugar, if necessary, until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like. Garnish with almond slivers and a fresh raspberry.