Author Notes: This is a very simple heirloom tomato salad. Its a take on a caprese - but Gorgonzola substitutes for mozzarella. —chrissy.spanoghe
large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
red onion, very thinly sliced
crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
extra virgin olive oil
fresh basil leaves, whole
salt and pepper
- Arrange the tomato slices on four salad plates, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle a small amount of the crumbled Gorgonzola on top of the tomato slices.
- Drizzle each plate with the olive oil and the balsamic. Do not use too much or it will overwhelm the flavor of the tomato.
- Sprinkle some salt and crack some black pepper all over the plates.
- Lay a couple of basil leaves in the center of each salad, and top with a mound of the thinly-sliced red onion. Serve and enjoy!