Author Notes: This recipe came off my grill when I had too many peppers and tomatoes several times this summer including last night. I often grill summer squash and zucchini to add to the salad as well assorted Italian olives.
For a fun casual summer dinner serve the salad in small crisp bread bowls along with a salumi plate and good wine.
Assorted red, yellow, green, orange pepper varieties sliced in large wedges
large red onion, 1/2 slices
thick slices of ciabatta, drizzled with oil
fresh tomatoes cut into 8 wedges
pound or more halved yellow pear tomatoes or red cherry or grape tomatoes
tablespoons table capers drained
Fresh basil leaves, about 8, torn
Fresh oregano, a sprigs, torn or minced
sprig fresh thyme leaves, minced
A few leaves of fresh marjoram
grated parmesan or romano cheese
Salt and pepper
- Cut up the tomatoes and place into a large serving bowl, sprinkle with a little pepper and add the capers, stir, cover and set aside.
- Heat a grill to high. Drizzle the pepper and onion slices with oil, sprinkle with S+P grill, turn until there is just a tinge of char and still tender crisp, remove to a plate to cool and cut into large pieces. Add vegetables to tomatoes, toss add fresh herbs, a little EVOO, Champagne, red wine, or balsamic vinegar or make your favorite vinaigrette.
- Cut the grilled bread into large cubes and to salad along with a little grated cheese, season to taste and toss.
- *Optional vinaigrette: 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard ½ teaspoon honey 3 tablespoons red or white wine, red or white balsamic or champagne vinegar 6 tablespoons EVOO Salt and pepper
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe