If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of the things I remember about the visits to my Grandparent's houses were their gardens. There was nothing I wanted to do more than hang around my Grandfather's heels while they tended their gardens. I loved finding frogs and putting them in my front overalls pocket (Yes, I was a total tomboy). I would disappear into the backyard while dinner was being prepared and stuff myself full of raspberries. Dinners were simple, a meat and some veggies from the garden. Maybe some cookies for dessert or a walk to get some ice cream. One of the things I always ate at my Grandmother Frederick's house was her cole slaw. It was just what you wanted cole slaw to be; crisp, creamy, and sweet. It was one of the first family recipes I made on my own for my family. Cole slaw is an easy recipe to play with too. So when I was inside trying to forget the fact that zucchini was over-running my garden I decided to yield and try something new with that old family favorite. You can see where this is going now can't you?
- 2 tablespoons of miracle whip
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Put all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk to combine. It will look a little curdled, but it will smooth out. You want it to have the consistency of thick cream. If it is too thick add a little more milk to thin it out.
Zucchini Cole Slaw
- 2 cups of zucchini; shredded
- 1 carrot; shredded
- 1 medium bulb of fennel; shredded
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup of pineapple; diced (fresh is best but canned works fine)
- Combine all of the vegetables and fruit into a bowl. Add the dressing. Fold everything together.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. It is good right away if you're in a pinch but it's better after an hour of sitting in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side