This is my husband's favorite breakfast. Breakfast is my favorite meal, and where Dale would turn up his nose at waffles for dinner, I think I could feed him these chilaqueles anytime.
It's a lot of prep for a breakfast dish, but the prep can all be done the night before, so you can make this easily for a crowd, since all you have to do is poach the eggs in the morning. (Really, is there anything better for breakfast than a sunny, soft egg?)
If we have a leisurely morning, I will wait to fry the tortillas in the morning and give them a quick pat dry to drain, layer the beans and tomatillo sauce, then I will poach the eggs. Top with some avocado, cilantro and queso fresco (or goats cheese)...there you have it...sunshine on a plate. —lorigoldsby
- Serves 6
- Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
poblano pepper, large
garlic cloves (up to a 1/2 head)
tomatillos, husks removed & washed & quartered
oil, salt & pepper
corn tortillas cut into 6 triangles (each)
oil for frying
tex-mex seasoning: 1 T. kosher salt and 1/2 t. each of cumin, coriander and chili powder with 1/4 t. of cayenne
ground chorizo, browned and well drained
queso fresco (or substitute chevre/ goat cheese)
- prep the tomatillo sauce: Slice off top of pepper, discard seeds (unless you like it really hot) cut lower part of pepper in half lengthwise. Chop onions into large hunks. You can use as much as a half head of garlic, just slice off the top of the bulb and let it roast. Toss with oil, salt & pepper, roast in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour.
- discard top/stem of poplano pepper. Pulse/process in a blender or food processor to achieve a chunky sauce.
- Brown chorizo. Drain well.
- warm refried beans and cream cheese in microwave, half power, 1-2 minutes to make a smooth, softened mixture.
- If possible, let tortillas sit out over night. This will allow some of the moisture to escape and make a crispier tortilla. you can substitute flour tortillas.
- fry tortillas (in batches) in 1 inch of oil, drain on paper towels and immediately sprinkle tex-mex seasoning salt on top.
- preparepan/ water for egg poaching. If you made everything the night before, warm beans, warm tomatillo sauce
- On a platter, heap a layer of chips, then spread bean mixture and tomatillo sauce on top... sprinkle chorizo and flake cheese with a fork to make crumbles. garnish with sliced avocado, cilantro and lime wedges.
- Poach eggs and place on top. Enjoy!