If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fried egg sandwiches are a staple in my household. I love making them for dinner when I’m home alone – though I’ve been known to serve them to my husband multiple times in a week. They’re one of those things where details really matter, so I find myself tinkering each time I make one. For this version, I slather harissa and mayonnaise on two slices of toasted sandwich bread, then top with thinly sliced avocado and tomato, thickly sliced bacon, and two crispy eggs fried in olive oil and bacon drippings and sprinkled with red chile flakes. The harissa and chile flakes elevate this sandwich to something memorable (and addictive). I love that they're front and center without being overpowering; the rest of the ingredients nicely temper their heat. I typically fry two eggs so I get some in each bite, but if your bread is on the smaller side, just fry one. —EmilyC
2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
2 thickly-cut slices of bacon
1 T extra-virgin olive oil, for frying the eggs
2 large eggs
A pinch of red chile flakes
kosher salt, to taste
1 T mayonnaise
1 T harissa
1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
small tomato, cored and thinly sliced (optional -- great if tomatoes are in season, otherwise skip)
- In a skillet (cast iron works great), cook the bacon over medium heat until it’s crisp. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate, and cut the slices so they’ll fit nicely on your bread.
- Leave about 1 T of bacon drippings in the pan. Add the extra-virgin olive oil to the bacon drippings. Add the eggs, sprinkle with salt and a pinch of red chili flakes, and cook over medium heat until the whites are set and crispy on the edges but the yolks are still slightly runny, about 3 minutes.
- While you’re frying the bacon and eggs, toast your bread and mix together the mayonnaise and harissa. Add more harissa if you want more heat. Salt the tomato slices.
- To assemble your sandwich: slather the harissa-mayo mixture on each slice of bread. Top your bottom slice with an even layer of avocado, then the bacon, eggs, tomato slices (if using), and your last slice of bread. Cut your sandwich in half, if you like (I like to cut mine right down the middle). Bite down and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe