Author Notes: It doesn't get much better than watching the horses work out in the mornings at Saratoga Race Course .... unless it's watching Bobby Flay watch his horses work out in the mornings at Saratoga! This is inspired by Bobby's recipe for minted lemonade. —wssmom
1 1/2 cups sugar
Juice from 10-12 lemons, about 1 1/2 cups
1 pint strawberries
3 cups seltzer, chilled
1/2 bunch mint sprigs
- Prepare a simple syrup by mixing the sugar with 1 1/2 cups water in a small pan; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve, and let cool.
- Stem the strawberries and puree with about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the lemon juice. Put through a sieve to remove seeds and errant bits.
- In a large, attractive pitcher, combine 3/4 cup simple syrup with the strawberry-lemon puree and the remainder of the lemon juice. Sample and if desired, add more simple syrup to taste.
- Add the mint to the pitcher along with the rum (one ounce per serving) and chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Add the cold seltzer and serve over ice. Kick back and enjoy the fourth race!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food