Author Notes: This past summer I was in Chicago for a few days of R&R and had a wonderful light lunch at this small bistro. There I ate a Brussel Sprout salad and I was blown away by how delish and refreshing it was to eat Brussel Sprouts raw. This salad is my reinvention of that meal. —jonewman
Serves 6-8 people
Harvest Salad Mix
- 1.5 pounds Brussel Sprouts, Shaved
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, Small Dice
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Salted and Roasted Marcona Almonds
- Shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- Zest Of One Lemon
- Juice From Half of a Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Mix to combine in a small bowl the zest of the lemon with the juice of ½ a lemon, the vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, mix till combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Set Aside.
- Cut Brussel Sprouts in half and then cut them into small shredded pieces, making sure not to shred the core. Then add the diced Granny Smith Apple, Cranberries and Marcona Almonds. Toss with the dressing to combine.
- Let the salad sit for about 20-30 minutes either at room temperature if you will serve it right away or in the fridge if you will serve later. This way the flavors will have a chance to meld.
- Right before service, shave some Pecorino Romano with a potato peeler. I shaved about a cup of it, but you can adjust to your taste, I just really love a lot of cheese in my salad. Take ½ of the shaved cheese and mix it into the salad and then take the other ½ and sprinkle on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Best Brussel Sprouts