If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This tomato tart takes advantage of the kaleidescope of cherry tomatoes falling in our gardens and showcased in the market. Its ease of preparation is due, in part, to the usage of store-bought frozen puff pastry dough. I confess that as much as I try to homemake everything, homemade puff pastry (unless made well ahead of time and frozen) doesn't conveniently figure into a spontaneous weeknight meal. Fortunately, high quality frozen pastry dough is available in many stores. I buy mine at Whole Foods, and while the price is not cheap, I see it as a break-even when considering the cost of the ingredients and time I would need to make it myself. However, if you do have time on your side (lucky you!) and would like to make your own pastry, one of my go-to recipes for quick puff pastry is from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible. Choose a variety of cherry tomatoes for a colorful tart. —TasteFood
Serves 4 as a light meal or 6-8 as a side/appetizer
- 1 sheet (11 ounce/300 g.) frozen puff-pastry dough, thawed
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes, heirloom if possible, halved lengthwise
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram
- Preheat oven to 400 F. (200 C.)
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Pierce dough all over with a fork, leaving a 1 inch border intact. Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking tray and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Bake dough in oven until lightly golden, 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, but do not turn off heat.
- Arrange tomato halves, cut-side up, on crust, leaving the 1 inch border clear. Drizzle tart with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove tart from oven, and transfer to serving platter. Garnish with fresh marjoram and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes