- Serves 2
This recipe was inspired by my four year old granddaughter who stopped by the other day with her mom and brother. She's the plotter, the schemer, the runner, the into everything grandchild. We went out onto the deck where she promptly picked a small green tomato from Tom's "pet" tomato plant - you know... the one with all the fruit that you baby all summer. Not being one to waste and really not quite ready for lots of fried green tomatoes or green tomato bread, I decided to combine this with other tomatoes on hand. This tomato only yielded two slices, but paired with beefsteak, roasted grape tomatoes and a few cherry tomatoes, it made for a lovely appetizer for two.
Thank you Smiley Riley!! —inpatskitchen
grape tomatoes from the pint you roasted in a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper for 10 minutes at 400F.
2 x 1/2 inch slices of a small green tomato
thick slices of a large beefsteak, big boy or beefmaster tomato
large cherry tomatoes, halved
Instant flour for dusting the green tomatoes
seasoned bread crumbs
egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Olive oil to coat the bottom of a medium frying pan
Sea Salt for seasoning
- Mash the roasted grape tomatoes and combine them with the mayo. Set aside.
- Center a slice of beefsteak tomato on each plate.
- Dust the green tomato slices with a little of the instant flour, then dip in the egg wash and finally into the seasoned crumbs and fry for a minute or two on each side in the oil. Set each slice on the big red tomatoes.
- Dip the cut side of the cherry tomatoes into the bread crumbs and then fry the crumbed side for about 15 seconds. Arrange, cut side up around each plate.
- Garnish with the roasted grape tomato mayo. Season with the salt. Get out the forks and knives and enjoy!